A dad and his four-year-old daughter have had a lucky escape after being caught up in a suspected gas explosion at a house in Southampton. The incident occurred in the early hours of 18th November and reduced the house to rubble.
Eyewitnesses and neighbours managed to pull the two from the rubble of the house before the emergency services arrived to attend the scene. Everyone stated how amazing it was that neither the father nor the daughter had sustained any serious injuries. One neighbour said he didn’t expect anyone to get out alive.
Pictures of the house show the devastation and the remains of the home that had stood there only a short time before. From overhead the scene shows the destruction of the house along with some damage to the house next door. It seems as though just one wall in the centre of the house is still standing, while everything around it is gone. The man’s wife was working a night shift at the time of the explosion.
The father and daughter injured in a gas explosion were treated at the local hospital as a precaution but they were soon discharged.
How dangerous is a gas leak?
As we have seen in this case, gas leaks can be very dangerous indeed. If someone is caught in an explosion caused by such a leak, it can be fatal. In other cases people can suffer dreadful injuries and shock as a result of the leak. If you ever smell gas or suspect a leak of this nature, you should make an emergency call to the National Gas Emergency Line. This is there to provide fast assistance in this situation and you won’t be charged for making the call either.
Source: Daily Mail
Date Published: November 30, 2014
Author: David Brown