How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Family put at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

    By Jonathan Brown on September 10, 2015

    Family put at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

    A landlord has been fined for putting a mother and her young son at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Manchester-based Rent4U Ltd had failed to arrange an annual gas safety check on the gas boiler at the woman’s terraced house on Marlborough Street, in Ashton-under-Lyne, between 2007 and 2014.

    It was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an inspection found the boiler to be in an “immediately dangerous” condition.

    ‘Guilty’

    Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard how the mother and son could have easily suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Carbon monoxide enters your blood stream and stops your blood from carrying oxygen around the body, killing your cells and tissue. It can cause serious injury, such as brain swelling and damage to blood vessels, or even death.

    The gas is known as the “silent killer” because it is colourless and odourless.

    Gas boilers and other appliances in rented properties should be tested by the landlord on a regular basis for safety. It can also be a good idea for homeowners should to take the time to have their gas appliances tested regularly.

    Rent4U Ltd, of Christie Way, Christie Fields, Manchester, pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. It was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay costs of £7,000.

    HSE had previously served the landlord with two Improvement Notices in 2013 after failing to arrange annual gas safety checks at two other properties.

    ‘Silent killer’

    You will not realise carbon monoxide is in the air until you are suffering from the effects of inhaling it.

    Installing a carbon monoxide detector may therefore, be a good idea, as it will ensure that you are aware of the gas in the air before it is too late, as many carbon monoxide poisoning deaths occur while people are sleeping.

    Feeling nauseous or confused or having abdominal pain or a severe headache can be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you think you have been exposed, you should seek medical help immediately.

    A simple blood test will show if you are suffering from the effects of inhalation.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Date Published: September 10, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.