How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Failure to diagnose urinary tract infections

    Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are more common in women than in men, with 50% of all women experiencing a UTI at least once. Whilst UTIs are uncomfortable and painful, symptoms usually subside within a few days although antibiotic treatment may be needed. UTIs are caused by bacteria entering the urinary tract through the urethra and many women find they develop a UTI after sex. There are two different types of UTI – an upper UTI affects the ureters and kidneys whilst a lower UTI affects the bladder and urethra. Left untreated, an upper UTI could cause kidney damage.

    Symptoms of a UTI usually include tummy pain, the need to urinate often and pain or burning when urinating. Whilst symptoms may be mild and pass within a few days, if they persist for more than five days, or if you have a high temperature, you should see your GP. Those with diabetes or pregnant women are at risk of complications such as blood poisoning or kidney failure. Failure to diagnose urinary tract infections could have serious consequences, particularly for pregnant women or those with diabetes, who could develop life-threatening complications.

    Can you claim compensation for failure to diagnose urinary tract infections?

    Many people hesitate to claim compensation, fearing that their GP or other medical professionals will take a claim personally. Medical professionals have certain standards they must meet, and if they fail to do so, they could be deemed negligent. If this is the case, you are entitled to claim compensation for your pain and suffering, and medical professionals should expect such action to be taken where evidence of negligence exists. If you’re not sure whether medical negligence has occurred, contacting a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible can help to clarify the situation and give you the answers you’re looking for.

    Contact Accident Advice Helpline today

    Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we know that making the decision to claim compensation for your failed diagnosis can be tough. That’s why our friendly team of personal injury lawyers offer confidential, no-obligation advice and a 100% no win, no fee service to all our customers. We’re here to listen to your individual circumstances and help you decide whether making a claim for compensation is the right next step for you to take. So if you have been affected by failure to diagnose urinary tract infections, call our freephone helpline today on 0800 689 0500 – we’re open 24/7 – and speak to a member of Accident Advice Helpline’s expert team.

    Date Published: August 14, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.