How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Essex Police’s compensation spend reaches £300k

    By David Brown on August 27, 2014

    A recent Freedom of Information Act request by Heart radio revealed Essex Police is amongst the top five police forces when it comes to their spending on compensation payouts. Over the last year, the force spent almost £300,000 spread out over 64 claims. The average claim was awarded £5,000 – more than double the UK’s average payout of £2,200.

    Andy Silvester of the Taxpayers’ Alliance said, “It suggests either a culture of carelessness or that they are simply paying out on spurious claims because challenging them is almost too difficult and not worth the time.”

    A spokesman for Essex Police commented, “During the financial year 2013/2014 a total of £298,550 was paid out by Essex Police as damages in respect of 64 claims. The damages paid however does not just relate to claims received in that financial year as it can take many years from when a claim is received to when settlement is reached. These claims have been made by members of staff working for Essex Police and by members of the public.

    Claiming compensation from the police force in your area

    If you have been injured in a road traffic accident involving police officers or injured whilst visiting a police station or other premises, you may be able to claim compensation. It’s important to make your claim within three years of the incident and you’ll need to contact a personal injury lawyer. Here are a few examples of the types of accidents you may be able to claim for:

    • Road traffic accidents involving police vehicles
    • Injuries caused by a police officer
    • Slip or trip at a police station or other police-owned premise
    • Injuries incurred whilst working as a police officer
    • Attacked by a police dog

    A personal injury lawyer will help you determine who was to blame for your accident and if there is evidence of negligence, you may be able to claim for compensation.

    Next steps

    If you think you may be able to claim compensation, contact Accident Advice Helpline. As our name suggests, we’re here to help and we offer confidential, no-obligation advice. However you have been injured, we can help you to get the compensation you deserve. It’s free to call our 24/7 helpline and our team of professional personal injury lawyers work on a 100% no win, no fee basis, so there are no upfront fees to pay. Get in touch today to get the ball rolling on your claim.

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.