How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Essex County Council pays out £230,000 for teacher injuries

    By David Brown on May 10, 2014

    Essex County Council pays out £230,000 for teacher injuries

    The Health and Safety Executive’s annual figures show that 27 million working days were lost because of work-related illness in 2012/13, whilst 1.1 million people suffered a work-related illness in the same period. Many individuals will need expert advice if they have been injured at work in order to determine if their employer has been negligent or not.

    In Essex, the council recently paid out £230,000 compensation to a teacher who suffered severe injuries from slipping on a sauce sachet in a school corridor. This claim was settled out of court, with £90,000 paid for damages, £120,000 for legal fees and a further £20,000 for additional costs. Essex County Council also paid out a large sum in compensation to a member of staff who slipped twice in one day on a wet floor, suffering spinal injuries.

    The National Union of Teachers support its members in making claims for compensation when they feel that employers have not taken the necessary steps to keep their members of staff safe. Whilst the amount of compensation paid out can vary depending on individual circumstances and the injuries sustained, the money awarded can help those injured to cover their loss of earnings and pay for medical treatment or care, plus other vital costs.

    Injured at work?

    If you have been injured whilst working at a school or other council-owned business, you could claim for compensation, although you will need to prove that your employer has been negligent. Slipping on a wet floor, sustaining an injury from defective school equipment or being injured whilst carrying out your duties could leave you signed off work and suffering a loss of earnings. When making a personal injury claim, you will need the services of a personal injury lawyer who can determine if your employer has been negligent and gather evidence to show this.

    Source: Harlow Star 

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.