How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Engineer guilty of asbestos exposure

    By Jonathan Brown on March 24, 2016

    Engineer guilty of asbestos exposure

    A gas engineer has admitted removing potentially dangerous asbestos material, putting himself and others at risk of exposure.

    Brian Hockin disturbed asbestos insulation board while removing an old warm air heating system at a residential property in Devon.

    The 58-year-old continued to remove the material, despite the tenants of the property raising concerns that he had disturbed asbestos.

    No checks

    Barnstaple Magistrates’ Court heard how the tenants of the property on Williams Close, Wrafton, had contacted the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) about what happened.

    A subsequent investigation found Mr Hockin had bagged and removed the material without making any checks prior to beginning the work. The material was stored at his yard.

    He also used no safety measures to prevent the spread of asbestos, while he wore no protective clothing or protective breathing apparatus when he was removing the asbestos.

    Asbestos-related diseases, such as mesothelioma, cause more than 5,000 deaths every year.

    Mr Hockin of Bickington, near Barnstaple, pleaded guilty of breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined £450 and ordered to pay £921.40 in costs.

    Serious health effects

    Speaking after the trial, HSE Inspector Simon Jones said Brian Hockin’s negligence could result in serious health effects to both him and anyone else who may have come into contact with the asbestos material that he disturbed.

    He added that given his vast experience as a gas engineer he should have realised that there is a very good chance that a 30-year-old gas boiler could be insulated with asbestos insulation board, yet he still failed to make checks before working around the material.

    Tradesmen should always be aware that asbestos can be found in any industrial or residential building built or refurbished before the year 2000.

    They have a responsibility to check for the presence of asbestos before starting work. If they suspect that they have come across asbestos during work, they should stop work immediately, confirm what the material is and arrange for it to be dealt with by properly trained professionals.

    Source: HSE

    Share On


    Date Published: March 24, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.