How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Employers’ liability claims against the MOD

    Employers’ liability claims against the MOD

    If you are injured during employment or service with the RAF, Army or Navy, you could be eligible to claim for compensation. Here are some of the most common types of claims against the MOD:

    • Personal injury claims
    • Asbestos claims
    • Cold injury claims
    • Medical negligence claims

    It’s worth noting that you can only claim for personal injury which occurred after 15th May 1987. Your claim will be dealt with in the same way that any other employee makes a claim against their employer, but you can’t claim for injuries caused during ongoing conflict or active operation. You will need to prove that the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force or Army were negligent, directly leading to your accident.

    The MOD’s duties as an employer

    The MOD has a duty to protect their employees and service personnel, the same as any employer, and they must make sure they adhere to the following:

    • Employees must be provided with necessary equipment and trained how to use it. Equipment must also be well maintained
    • Staff must receive manual handling training if lifting heavy objects
    • All staff should be provided with PPE if needed, such as hard hats, goggles or safety boots
    • The workplace must be kept clean and tidy, with corridors and floors free from hazards

    How to claim for compensation

    If your accident occurred after 6th April 2006, you could claim through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. Before this date, you may be eligible to claim for a War Pension payment, although this can only be done once you leave service. Claims made under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme can be made whilst still in service although a 7-year time limit applies. You can claim for personal injury compensation at the same time as making a claim through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or the War Pension system.

    How we can help

    Accident Advice Helpline are proud to be backed by our sponsor, Esther Rantzen, UK consumer champion and TV personality. We know that claiming against the MOD can be daunting for many people, and we’re here to make the whole process seem less complex. Our friendly team of professional advisers are here to take your call 24/7 – call our freephone hotline and we’ll normally be able to tell you within 30 seconds whether you have a viable claim. If you decide to go ahead with your claim, you can take advantage of our 100% no win, no fee* service.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: February 23, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.