A construction firm has been prosecuted after a worker who cut through a building site’s mains electricity cable suffered injuries to his elbow and shoulder.
The 22-year-old labourer suffered the bodily injuries after coming into contact with at least 240 volts of power and being thrown across the room, Liverpool Magistrates Court heard.
His protective clothing saved him from suffering any burns injuries or being more badly hurt in the accident at work.
Live mains cable
Vermont Capitol, based in Liverpool, was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £980 in prosecution costs after admitting breaching Construction (Design and Management) regulations by failing to identify the live mains cable.
The company had been in charge of clearing the building site on Shaw Street, Liverpool, before putting up 60 student flats at the end of a row of 1830s terraced houses.
The worker, from Prescott, had been told to remove old pipes and cables from the cellar of the end terrace house, which had been partially demolished after becoming structurally unsafe.
Despite being told the mains supply into the building had been cut off, the company failed to ensure that this was the case and the worker was thrown across the basement when his angle grinder made contact with the live wires, the court was told.
The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) said the man was lucky to be alive following the incident on August 2 2013
HSE Inspector Chris Hatton reinforced the importance for developers to get written confirmation that electricity supplies have been disconnected to ensure the safety of workers.
Electric shock injuries
If you’ve been hurt in a similar accident that wasn’t your fault, you could claim compensation for electric shock injuries.
Our helpline is open 24 hours a day so give us a call on 0800 689 0500 to see if you are eligible. We work on a no win, no fee* basis and are proud to have the backing of TV personality and consumer champion Esther Rantzen.
Date Published: October 28, 2014
Author: David Brown