How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Electric mattress burns man during surgery

    By David Brown on October 16, 2014

    An “extremely worrying” incident during a hospital operation left a man with third-degree burns.

    Overheating mattress

    Mike Wilcock, 58, suffered burns to his hip and buttock when an electric mattress overheated during routine surgery to remove a non-cancerous cyst from his kidney at Maidstone Hospital in Kent.

    It is common to use electric mattresses to ensure a patient is kept warm during an operation because a general anaesthetic affects the ability of the body to regulate its own temperature.

    When a patient gets too cold it can be dangerous as it can impact on the way that the blood clots, which in turn increases the risk of bleeding.

    Heat sensor error

    But a heat sensor for the mattress, which was meant to be placed on Mr Wilcock’s body to monitor his temperature, was instead put on a cold saline bag.

    Mr Wilcock, from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, needed an emergency skin graft because all three layers of his skin suffered burns damage in an area measuring 8in by 6in.

    The health and safety inspector spent a week in a specialist burns hospital to have the dead tissue removed and undergo the skin graft after the incident in September 2012.

    Training failures

    Staff were found to have inadequate training and knowledge to ensure the mattress was operated correctly following an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

    Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act at a hearing last month.

    Laura Craig, from law firm Slater & Gordon, which represented Mr Wilcock, said the case was worrying and could have turned out even worse if the incident had involved a more vulnerable patient.

    Source: Daily Mail

    Share On

       

    Date Published: October 16, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.