A care home where an elderly woman was scalded after staff put her into a bath that was too hot has been fined £30,000.
Elizabeth Warrington, 85, was placed into the bath at Campsie View Care Home, Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire, in September 2009.
Only when Miss Warrington became distressed did staff realise there was something wrong and take her out of the bath.
Cannot walk unaided
Miss Warrington, who had been at Campsie View for almost 15 years when the incident happened, was born with a disability meaning she cannot speak, while she also suffers dementia and cannot walk unaided.
An investigation into the incident found that staff hadn’t properly checked the temperature of the water before placing Miss Warrington into the bath.
Guidelines suggest that the water should be a maximum of 43C but at a hearing at Glasgow Sheriff Court, it was revealed that when staff later checked the water, it was between 56C and 65C.
Injuries took three weeks to heal
Following the incident, Miss Warrington spent three weeks in hospital but made a full recovery from the scalding injuries.
The two staff members involved – carer Joseph Rae and assistant carer Jacqueline Mitchellini – were initially suspended, but chose not to return to the care home.
Four Seasons Health Care, which runs Campsie View, pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches.
The court heard that staff hadn’t been trained properly and that there were also failings in the plumbing system.
Sheriff Daniel Scullion fined Four Seasons £30,000, reducing the penalty from £40,000 due to the guilty plea.
Sheriff Scullion described the incident as “avoidable” and said that staff should have been trained in such an integral part of the their job.
Four Seasons must pay the fine within 28 days or risk further punishment.
Anyone who has been injured when it is not their fault could be eligible for compensation. Experts at Accident Advice Helpline offer information and guidance on a huge range of claims, including personal injury.