A lorry driver was stopped by police after he was filmed using two mobile phones simultaneously while driving on the motorway.
The man, who has not been named, held one phone to his ear while texting on another handset while travelling along the M6 in Cheshire.
He was one of almost 2,700 people stopped for unsafe driving by police forces across England using an HGV cab loaned by Highways England.
The lorry driver was given a fixed penalty charge of £100 and three points following the incident, in September 2015.
Bad behaviour recorded on roads
Other bizarre roadside behaviour filmed by officers included a man in Surrey boiling water in a kettle on his dashboard and a motorist in Kent watching a DVD.
A driver in Hampshire was also spotted reading a book, while a man in Surrey told officers he was using his mobile phone because he needed to call his new girlfriend after “their song” came on the radio.
Anthony Thorpe from Highways England’s incident prevention team said: “The vast majority of drivers pay attention when they’re on a motorway but a minority are putting themselves and others at risk by not driving safely.
“We’ve been loaning out the HGV cab to police forces to help improve safety and are delighted that the initiative is making a real difference and protecting motorists.”
Officers use the HGV cab to film unsafe drivers and they are then pulled over by colleagues who are following behind.
Some 25 forces have taken part in the project.
Motorists will face tougher punishments
Last month Transport Secretary Chris Grayling announced that motorists will face tougher punishments for using handheld phones behind the wheel.
Drivers are currently given three penalty points and a minimum fine of £100 for the offence, but this is set to be increased to six points and £200 under the plans.
In 2015 the use of a mobile was a factor in at least 22 fatal road accidents.
Source: BBC News
Date Published: October 14, 2016
Author: Jonathan Brown