Driving with children in the car can be a recipe for disaster – not only do you need to ensure they are happy and entertained, you also need to make sure they’re strapped into their seats properly, as well as being warm, comfortable, fed and watered. Then there are the inevitable toilet breaks or feeling travel sick to take into account. It’s easy to see why many accidents occur due to distractions caused by travelling with children.
Tips for driving with children in the car
If you’re travelling with children in the car, here are a few tips which will help to make the journey safer and more enjoyable:
- Pack entertainment to keep the kids busy – a music CD, DVD or audio book is usually a great idea, or portable games consoles work a treat too.
- Ensure everyone is strapped in before you set off – take off bulky coats and uncomfortable boots and make sure they’re comfortable in their car seats.
- Take regular breaks for food, drink and the toilet.
- Don’t turn around to speak to kids or check on them whilst you’re driving. If you need to do this, find a safe place to pull over.
- Purchase travel sickness wrist bands for anyone who suffers during car journeys.
- Keep essentials such as plasters, wet wipes and plenty of snacks to hand.
- Make sure you factor in time for rest stops so that you’re not rushing.
By following the above tips, you can make sure you have a safer and less stressful journey. If you’re going to be listening to CD’s or tracks on an MP3 player, set up playlists in advance so that you’re not distracted from the road by changing tracks on your car stereo.
Accidents do happen
Unfortunately, accidents do happen and if either you or your child has been injured as a result of a road accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be considering claiming for compensation. If you can prove that the other driver was distracted by their children, and not paying attention to the road, then you could have a viable claim.
Call Accident Advice Helpline and we’ll be able to tell you within 30 seconds whether your claim is viable. Gather as much evidence as you can to support your claim (we can help with this) and don’t worry about extortionate fees, as we offer a 100% no win, no fee service, so you won’t need to pay anything unless your claim for compensation is successful. We’re proud to have Esther Rantzen, TV personality and UK consumer champion as our sponsor, so you know you’re dealing with a company you can trust. Give us a call today on 0800 689 0500 and see how we can help you.
Date Published: December 22, 2013
Author: David Brown