How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Draft report on Derby Assembly Rooms fire

    By Jonathan Brown on February 24, 2015

    Draft report on Derby Assembly Rooms fire

    A blaze at a concert venue in Derby may have spread because the building was poorly designed and maintained, according to a draft report.

    The fire in March 2014 caused severe smoke damage to the Assembly Rooms which has not yet reopened its doors to the public.

    Council ‘not entirely happy’ with report

    The venue is run by Derby City Council and its acting chief executive, Paul Robinson, says it is unhappy with some of the contents of the report.

    The report claims there were holes in the firewalls inside the building and they may have caused the fire to spread
    unexpectedly. Mr Robinson says the venue is 38 years old and such buildings often have historic problems like this.

    Fire safety consultants BB7 also highlighted problems with the building’s ventilation and the presence of polystyrene, which is a flammable material.

    The consultants said it was lucky that the fire started on top of the car park and not in another part of the building, which may have been harder for the fire brigade to gain access to.

    BB7 says the building can be used as a concert venue again once work to improve it is finished.

    Flames reached 40ft high

    The blaze produced a huge plume of black smoke, which was visible around Derby even after the fire was extinguished. The fire brigade needed 75 firefighters and 16 engines to put it out. At its height the fire sent flames 40ft high into the sky.

    Experts found the fire was caused by overheating machinery in the air conditioning unit that was situated in the car park.

    The council is claiming £5.5 million in insurance and the report is now in the hands of the insurance company involved, Mr Robinson says.

    He adds that a settlement is currently being negotiated and no concerns have been evident in the talks so far.

    Source: BBC News

    Share On


    Date Published: February 24, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.