When it comes to staying safe whilst driving, vision is everything. The risks on the road are both many and varied and it is absolutely essential that you have as clear and as wide a vision as possible.
What are the keys to maintaining good vision and avoiding road traffic accidents when driving?
As a driver, your main lookout point is the windscreen. It is essential that it is kept in top condition. This includes:
– Keep it clear of obstructive objects such as stickers, air fresheners etc.
– Any cracks or chips are replaced as soon as possible
– Both the internal and external panels are cleaned regularly
– Windscreen wipers work effectively and are replaced as soon as they fail to do so
The last thing on this list is particularly important as your windscreen wipers are probably the most important tool when it comes to keeping your windscreen clean and clear.
Effective and high-quality wipers are absolutely essential during wet driving conditions when anything from the rainwater itself to splashes along the road can obscure your vision. They are also important to help clear sleet, snow, mud and anything else that may be getting in the way of safe, accident-free driving.
How will I know my windscreen wipers need replacing?
The general, expert consensus is that blades ought to be changed and replaced between 6 and 12 months in order to ensure optimum performance. There are a number of symptoms to be on the lookout for that show that their powers may be on the wane. These include:
– The wipers are chattering or juddering throughout their movement against the windscreen
– The wipers are leaving streaky marks across the glass
– The wipers are failing to make contact with certain areas on the windscreen
The deterioration of wiper blades is caused by a number of things. Both hot and cold weather can lead to the blades becoming brittle in a new shape, which prevents them from following the curve of the windscreen, while heavy use can also accelerate their decline as the sharp edge required for a clean wipe is worn away.
Whatever the state of your vehicle, if you suffer a road accident that wasn’t your fault then Accident Advice Helpline can offer experienced guidance should you wish to make a claim for traffic accident compensation.
Championed by Esther Rantzen, they boast a 13 year history of successful accident claims.
To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.