How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Has a doctor treated your sprained ankle?

    Minor injuries such as cuts, bruises and sprains don’t always need medical attention. However, when it comes to a sprained ankle, seeing a doctor is a good idea as it’s often difficult to differentiate between a sprain and a fracture. If you have broken your ankle you may need surgery or to wear a cast until it heals, and delaying treatment could result in the bone healing improperly, which could even cause a physical deformity. Provided a doctor treated your sprained ankle, you may be able to claim personal injury compensation if somebody else caused your accident. Accident Advice Helpline will need to see evidence of your treatment, usually in the form of a medical report from your doctor.

    For a sprained ankle, doctor’s orders are PRICE

    If a doctor treated your sprained ankle, they probable recommended PRICE therapy. This stands for protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation, and is an outline of what you should do at home to ease pain and swelling and help your ankle to heal. For minor, Grade 1 ankle sprains, this may be sufficient, but for more serious Grade 2 and Grade 3 sprains, you may need physiotherapy or even surgery, in order to fully recover after your accident. A sprained ankle is often the result of a slip or trip, and it’s not just adults who can be injured.

    If your child has sprained their ankle in an accident at school or nursery, you could find you’re eligible to claim compensation on their behalf. This could include compensation for lost wages if you’ve taken time off work to look after them, after their accident.

    Has a doctor treated your sprained ankle?

    Whether your ankle sprain is minor or more serious, you’ll only be able to make a claim if you have evidence that you saw a doctor for a diagnosis and/or treatment. Even if your doctor sent you home and ordered you to rest and ice your sprained ankle, you could still be eligible to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

    If you’d like to find out more about making a claim, get advice after your accident or if you have any questions whatsoever about the claims process, you can call Accident Advice Helpline on freephone 0800 689 0500 (0333 500 0993 from a mobile, charges may apply). There’s a three-year time limit in place to make a claim, so don’t wait around for too long or you could miss the deadline.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: February 24, 2017

    Author: Rob Steen

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.