How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Disability benefits: the facts

    Disability benefits: the facts

    In a situation where they are subject to constant changes, one this is clear about disability benefits: the facts are hard to pin down. Because our team at Accident Advice Helpline is often the first port of call for people who have suffered life-changing injuries, we are often asked how such benefits can be accessed. We recommend asking your doctor to put you in touch with a social worker who can make sure you get everything you’re entitled to, but this can take some months to arrange.

    In the meantime, you should apply for major benefits straight away as it may not be possible for you to get back payments if you start your claim at a later date.

    Personal Independence Payment

    Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is the new benefit available to working age adults, replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA). There are two rates of DLA and the one you get will depend on how severely your disability is understood to impact your life. If you are not satisfied with the initial decision made, claim again, as a high proportion of claimants find their benefits increased on appeal. This type of disability benefit is paid even if you are in work as it is not intended to cover general living expenses—rather, it is there to help you meet the extra costs that being disabled brings, like having to travel in taxis, get assistance with household tasks or keep your home warmer because you can’t move around.

    Help with living costs

    If you feel that you are unable to work, you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance. You may receive money because the government accepts that you can’t work or you may be given support to help you access a more suitable form of employment. This can include support to help you retrain. Often the courses offered by the Department of Work and Pensions and its subcontractors are of limited usefulness, but if you can find a suitable college course you may be able to get funding to attend it.

    If you are able to work but due to your circumstances you can’t make very much money, you can apply for Income Support to help you get by. You may also be eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Other benefits for disabled people

    There are several other key benefits that disabled people may be eligible for:-

    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were disabled at work.
    • Attendance Allowance if you are past retirement age and need extra care.
    • War Disablement Pension if you were injured in the army.
    • Constant Attendance Allowance if you need somebody to be with you all the time.
    • Disabled Facilities Grants to help you adapt your home to your needs.

    If somebody looks after you for 35 hours or more per week, that person may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.

    At Accident Advice Helpline, we’ll do our best to win you compensation so you don’t need to worry about money, but in the meantime you should get all the help you can. You’re entitled to a decent standard of living like anybody else.

    Date Published: January 4, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Costs and losses

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.