Trips and falls are two of the most common accidents that can occur. It is worth being aware of potential trip hazards so that you can reduce risk as much as possible. While there is no way to eradicate the risk of accidents it helps to be aware. With the right approach you can keep yourself and your environment safe.
- Throw rugs- Believe it or not these are a common way people can get injured. This happens because they can often bunch up, creating the trip hazard. If you have one it is best to have it away from main corridors to minimise the risk of accidents.
- Clutter- Clutter at home extend the risk of tripping over things. Clear the cutter and you have less chance of falling over it!
- Poor lighting- Sounds obvious but if you can’t see well then you are more likely to hurt yourself.
- Sloping driveways- You are more likely to hurt yourself if your driveway is on a steep slope.
In the workplace
- Items on the floor- Things need to be kept in storage areas so that people are less likely to hurt themselves tripping over boxes, especially if they are in walkways or well used corridors.
- Open drawers- When you have finished using something in a drawer make sure it is shut. Sounds strange but people can trip and hurt themselves on open drawers.
- Running- No task is so important that you need to run around and increase the risk of tripping over (furthermore you are likely to hurt yourself a lot more)
- Spills- A caution sign needs to be put up as soon as a spill happens. This will reduce the risk of people slipping over.
- Mats- Mats should be placed down during wet conditions so that people are less likely to slip over thanks to wetness. Sounds obvious but it is an easy one to forget.
Playing fields need to be checked for any potential trip hazards. This includes broken glass and wet surfaces. A match should not be played if people are worried about the conditions.
Why you should contact Accident Advice Helpline
It is important for companies to be aware of the potential risks of trip hazards to their employees. If you were injured in an accident and feel that the company did not take sufficient steps to protect you from risk then it is worth contacting Accident Advice Helpline to guide you through the claims process and give you the best chance of getting compensation.
Our helpline is open 24 hours a day and we have received many positive reviews praising our customer service. Contact us today to see what we can do for you!