Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Causes of damage to cars

For many of us, not only is our car one of our most prized possessions, but it also allows us to have a greater degree of freedom in our everyday lives. Being able to travel to work and back, take the kids to school, go on holidays, or simply to go to the supermarket in our own transport is a great benefit to most people. For this reason, if your car is damaged and you’re no longer able to use it, or perhaps you have a large repair bill, this can have a much larger effect on our lives than you may expect. Here we take a look at the main causes of damage to cars, and whether or not there is any recourse to compensation.

Damage from potholes

The problem of cars being damaged by potholes has made the news several times in the last few years. Many people are still unsure whether or not they are able to make any kind of compensation claim for damage to their vehicle caused by a pothole on a public road. The first step to making a claim is to contact the council responsible for that stretch of road with full details of when and where the accident happened, as well as invoices and receipts for any repair work carried out.

Not many people know that councils actually have a statutory defence, in that they cannot be held accountable for a pothole they were not aware of. If, however, your car was damaged by a pothole the local highway authority was previously aware of, you may be able to make a claim for the cost of repairs. If your claim is turned down, you may still be able to make an appeal, or ask your insurance company to make a claim on your behalf.

Damage to cars caused by road accidents

One of the most common causes of damage to cars is road traffic accidents. Thankfully, most road accidents are not serious, and with modern cars having such excellent safety features, most accidents do not result in injuries. Road accidents can range from the slightest of bumps to head-on collisions with potentially fatal consequences. Damage to cars is usually covered by your motor insurance policy, and the responsible party will have to pay for repairs to the other vehicle.

In reported road traffic accidents in 2015 there were 1,732 deaths, a decrease of 2% from the previous year. The total number of people seriously injured also decreased by 3% to a figure of 22,137.

However, if you are injured in a road accident it is often better to seek professional personal injury representation in order to be fully compensated for your injuries. Accident Advice Helpline is a company which can provide this service, and you are able to contact us for no-obligation advice at any time.

Severe weather

It seems that every winter we hear stories of damage to cars being caused by severe weather in the UK. One of the main causes of damage is usually high winds which can blow over trees lining the sides of roads onto parked cars. Even more dangerous is if a tree blows over onto a moving vehicle, as this can cause an extremely serious road accident including injuries and possibly death. Councils also have some degree of responsibility to make sure any weak, dead or dying trees are not left standing and therefore pose a danger to traffic and pedestrians. It is not impossible to make a claim for injury compensation if trees on council property have not been maintained properly.

Flooding can also cause damage to cars, and again, there always seem to be stories in the news each year about rivers bursting their banks and sweeping cars away. If you live in an area prone to flooding, it is important to know whether or not your motor insurance policy covers you for damage to your vehicle caused by flooding and other weather phenomena.

Vandalism and criminal damage

Unfortunately, cars are sometimes damaged by vandalism and various forms of criminal damage including arson. If the perpetrator is caught and charged with an offence, it is possible that you could receive compensation for the damage caused. It is also sometimes possible to make a claim on your motor insurance, as long as you have paid for a third party, fire and theft policy, or fully comprehensive. In order to make a claim on your insurance policy, you must have reported the incident to the police and have a reference number to give your insurance company.

Were you injured when your car was damaged?

Sometimes, damage to cars is the least of our concerns, especially if we are injured at the same time. This usually happens in the case of road traffic accidents, and it is at times like this our personal recovery usually comes ahead of any repairs to the vehicle. After you have recovered from your injuries, however, if your injury was caused in the last three years, you may be eligible to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

At Accident Advice Helpline we specialise in helping injured people claim against negligent parties who have caused an accident in some way. It is usually the case in a road traffic accident that one party is more to blame than the other, and it is only by contacting a professional personal injury law firm that you will find out where you stand.

Give us a ring today

Call Accident Advice Helpline 0800 689 5659 to find out if you can make a claim for compensation. Although motor insurance companies usually deal with damage to cars, you will normally need specialist representation to make a claim for your personal injuries. We are happy to provide free initial advice, and there is no charge to call our freephone number above. You can also make use of the 30-second claim calculator on our website to give you an idea of how much your compensation may amount to.