How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Criminal injury following prolonged abuse claim

    When someone mentions a criminal injury claim, we tend to think of compensation for the immediate trauma of a mugging or similar event. However, a criminal injury following a prolonged abuse claim can also be made. This classification of personal injury relates to crimes such as abuse in a relationship or to children. Any crime that takes place repeatedly, over a prolonged period and which involves physical or mental abuse may provide grounds for claiming compensation. A quick phone call to Accident Advice Helpline, to take our 30-second test, could help you start the claims process today.

    If you have been the direct victim of prolonged abuse or have suffered emotional trauma through seeing someone else endure abuse, you may be eligible to make a claim. Accident Advice Helpline has a specialist team of solicitors who can help you earn the compensation you deserve, so if you think you have a claim call us today.

    How to claim for criminal injury

    If the crime in question has been reported to the police and occurred in England, Scotland or Wales in the past two years, you may be entitled to make a claim. All it takes is a short call to Accident Advice Helpline and we will connect you to one of our specialist solicitors who will help process your claim.

    In most cases, criminal injury claims are settled out of court and involve nothing more than a verification of the case details with the relevant police force. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, an organisation created in 1964 specifically to compensate those injured by criminal acts, processes claims using a 25 level tariff system. Awards range from £1,000 to £500,000 and can be supplemented by additional payments for loss of earnings or on-going treatment.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Thanks to the existence of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, making claims for prolonged abuse is a painless process that can earn you the compensation you deserve for the trauma suffered. The majority of criminal injury claims are completed over the phone and do not require you to attend court, ensuring minimal disruption to your recovery. One of our friendly advisers at Accident Advice Helpline will be happy to help you begin the claims process today.

    Who can make a criminal injury following prolonged abuse claim?

    Prolonged abuse can have a serious impact on the lives of many people. Friends and family who bear witness to abuse can be scarred with psychological trauma, whilst a bystander who tries to intervene may sustain psychical injury. When it comes to criminal injury claims, anyone who is physically or emotionally affected by the crime may be eligible to claim, as long as the trauma suffered merits £1,000 or more of compensation.

    If you have undergone psychiatric treatment after experiencing the prolonged abuse of someone close to you or been injured when trying to intervene, Accident Advice Helpline is here to help you make a claim. Compensation may not heal the immediate wounds, but it can help to offset medical costs and loss of earnings whilst you receive the treatment necessary for you to recover. Call free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no-obligation advice about making a claim.

    Date Published: October 12, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Criminal injury claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.