Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Council pothole compensation

It’s not just people being injured that can result in a compensation claim. Often, there are a number of other factors that could mean that you have lost money and could hence qualify for an insurance claim. Potholes on the roads are one form of such possible claims.

Cars moving at high speeds can often be damaged when they hit potholes in the roads. This in some cases can qualify for compensation from the road authorities. However, there are certain requirements that have to be met before council pothole compensation can be claimed.

How can damages be incurred as a result of potholes?

Roads that are damaged can pose a serious threat to vehicles, and this might translate into large costs for the individuals as well if they have to repair the vehicle following pothole damage. Accident Advice Helpline can help you to claim the compensation for damage that is incurred as a result of the potholes on the roads. The damage can be in the form of:

  • Vibration of the steering wheel as a result of adverse wheel alignment;
  • Collision with objects on the side of the roads or with vehicles passing by; and
  • Distortion of the tyres, which may as well result in the tyres bursting at times.

If you notice a pothole on the roads that you travel on, you should immediately report it to the council of the area concerned. This would not only benefit the community, but also the council as well in the form of reduced council pothole compensation. If you have trouble in finding out the relevant council to report to, you can always search online using the name of the town, road or the postal address and code of the area you’re reporting about. Additionally, if you become aware of potholes on a highway or an A-road, you should report to the highway or relevant authorities there.

When can you claim council pothole compensation?

There are also limitations on claims you can file: if the pothole that damaged your vehicle had already been reported to the relevant authorities and it was in their knowledge, you can definitely file a claim for council pothole compensation by alleging that there was a lack of responsible behaviour from the council’s side.

However, if according to section 58 of the Highways Act 1980 the councils had taken “reasonable” measures in order to “secure that part of the highway to which the action relates was not dangerous to traffic,” then the council would be given some leverage and council pothole compensation claims might not be that effective. Moreover, if the potholes have not been reported or the authorities have not been notified, your claim might not prove to be that effective either.

So, if you intend to make a claim for council pothole compensation, it is useful to have a little knowledge beforehand about the history of the pothole. Call us today on 0800 689 5659 for more information about making a personal injury compensation claim.