How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for tripping in the street

    Tripping in the street may be an embarrassing experience, especially in a busy shopping area. However, embarrassment may be the least of your worries if you suffer a head injury or a broken bone from your fall. Some cities have ‘problem areas’ where the pavements have been destroyed by excessively bad weather or wear and tear. If you find an area like this, you should report it to the relevant local authority. It doesn’t hurt to notify the local council as they may not be aware of how dangerous the street is to pedestrians.

    However, there are cases where the council are aware of the problem streets but do not have the budget to keep up with regular repairs. If so, they are putting the public at risk of falling or tripping while going about their day to day business. There may be instances where a fall is just the result of carelessness, but there may also be cases where the fall could have been prevented. If you have tripped in the street and have sustained injuries, you could claim compensation from the local authority at fault for the accident.

    When to claim for a trip or fall

    Life can be stressful and people are often in a hurry to meet appointments or to make work on time. However, if you do fall in the street because you were running or you trip because you failed to look where you were going, you are unlikely to be entitled to compensation. On the other hand, if you have fallen because of a hole in the pavement or because the pavement was unstable, you could make a claim for compensation. Tripping in the street can result in painful injuries, but you can claim compensation if you wish to ensure that it does not happen to someone else.

    Claiming compensation

    You may be in pain and feeling a little humiliated from your fall but making a claim is your legal right and it gives you the opportunity to address the issue of poorly maintained pavement with the relevant authority. Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm which specialises in personal injury claims and we can help you to make your claim at no initial cost to you. Call our free 24-hour helpline on 0800 689 0500 to find out more or to begin making your claim.

    Date Published: January 22, 2015

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Slips, Trips and Falls Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.