How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for time off work due to food poisoning

    Food poisoning is no laughing matter, and it can often leave you feeling very ill. With symptoms including nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain and fever, you may feel so ill you’re unable to go to work, which could mean you’re losing money. Not all employers offer sick pay for staff taking just a couple of days off work, and whilst you could apply for statutory sick pay, it won’t be the same amount as your usual salary. Whether you’re single or have a hungry family to feed, losing a portion of your earnings can put you in a tough situation financially. The good news is that if you’ve had to take time off work due to food poisoning, you could claim personal injury compensation.

    The amount of compensation you’ll receive takes into account not only your pain and suffering, but also any loss of earnings/financial losses you have incurred as a result of your food poisoning. If you’ve needed treatment in hospital, keeping receipts for any expenses incurred, such as transport to and from the hospital, is a good idea, as this will be taken into account when working out your settlement.

    Taking further action

    If you’ve needed time off work due to food poisoning, you should get in touch with the restaurant or establishment you dined at, to let them know. They may wish to carry out an investigation into what happened and make changes to their hygiene procedures in order to protect customers in future. In some cases, they may offer you a free meal or discount on your next visit – of course it’s up to you whether you want to eat there again. You might also want to report the restaurant to your council’s Environmental Health department, and of course if you want to make a claim for compensation, you’ll need to get in touch with a reputable personal injury lawyer.

    Choosing the right lawyer

    With so many accident and injury lawyers out there, how do you know you’re dealing with one you can trust? Accident Advice Helpline specialises in personal injury claims, and we’ve been doing so since 2000. We only work with professional personal injury lawyers on a 100% no win, no fee* basis, and we’re here to offer you confidential, no-obligation advice, whatever your situation. We’ve helped hundreds of people claim compensation for food poisoning, and you could be next – get in touch today by calling our freephone helpline on 0800 689 0500 to find out more.

    Date Published: February 6, 2015

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.