How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for a police car accident

    Many of us have been involved in a car accident of one kind or another, be it a minor shunt in queuing traffic to a more serious impact. Sometimes vehicles appear suddenly from out of side roads or otherwise catch us unawares. Imagine if that vehicle was a police car in the course of a police officer’s duties. These emergency services drivers are allowed by law to break the national speed limit and do not have to stop at red traffic lights. High speed chases ensue in the case of serious incidents or traffic offences when criminals flee the scene. Following other vehicles this way is something police drivers are trained to do and it is down to them to ensure the safety of other road users as they respond to 999 calls.

    Police car accidents are, thankfully, rare, but what if you have been involved in a police car accident – are there grounds to claim? Whilst police drivers are trained to respond to any kind of emergency call they must be able to show that they were driving with due care and attention.

    Shocking impact of a police car accident

    Car accidents vary in severity and even if you are lucky enough to escape without injury you will probably find the experience unnerving and unsettling. Other drivers involved in a police car accident may receive minor or more serious injuries depending on the type of accident. And if you are a cyclist or pedestrian you are vulnerable to critical and life-changing injuries. You may be unable to work or to do the things you now take for granted if the impact of the accident limits your mobility. It might also mean extended stays in hospital for rehabilitative treatment, resulting in hardship for your family.

    Can I claim compensation for a police car accident?

    You never quite know where you stand unless you speak with a professional personal injury specialist who has experience of all kinds of situations. Accident Advice Helpline has the backing of consumer champion Esther Rantzen and our free 24/7 enquiry line will help you find out whether there was negligence on the part of the police or driver and if your injury might be compensated for. We offer a friendly first class service and will ensure you are able to get the information and answers you need. You will be glad you decided to call Accident Advice Helpline for help on 0800 689 0500.

    Date Published: February 6, 2015

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Car accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.