NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, the biggest health board in Scotland, has admitted failings took place in the case of a man in his 80s who choked to death when given the wrong food while in Gartnavel Hospital in 2011.
Roddy MacDonald, 84, was suffering from Parkinson’s disease and was given goulash instead of food that he could easily and safely eat. As a Parkinson’s sufferer he should have been fed soft food that had been mashed up to make it easier for him to swallow.
The health board issued a statement which admitted there were failings in the care provided to Mr MacDonald. In addition it mentioned that the board had initiated a ‘significant incident review process’ to determine the facts in his death. The procurator fiscal was then provided with this information and elected not to carry out further investigations into the incident.
The family has now received compensation of over £20,000 as a consequence of lodging a claim. The statement from the health board also mentioned that the board would be happy to arrange a meeting with members of Mr MacDonald’s family to provide a proper apology.
How important is it for individuals to receive appropriate care while in hospital?
Individuals need care that is unique to them when they are staying in hospital. This is particularly true if someone has a pre-existing medical condition that needs appropriate care. Thankfully this does indeed happen in the majority of instances.
However there is always a potential for things to be overlooked or forgotten, or for the wrong information to be used when assessing an individual’s needs. The odds of this happening are long but it can occur and this can make things more difficult for people.
Source: BBC News
Date Published: November 30, 2014
Author: David Brown