How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for an injury in a public place

    One area we will all go to at one point or another – and very often on a daily basis – will be a public place. For example you might step out of your front door to walk to a nearby town to get provisions. On the way there you will use streets that are public places for people to use. You might walk through a park provided for public use. In every case these public places should be safe to use and enjoy, without fear of having an accident.

    Every now and then though, someone will be unlucky and will suffer an injury in a public place. This may have happened to you. If it has you will know that it is perfectly possible to be hurt in a way that could affect your life from that moment on. You might trip, slip or fall and hurt your hands, feet or some other part of your body. Even what seems to be a minor accident could end up with you suffering some uncomfortable injuries that could have a knock-on effect on other parts of your life.

    Who is responsible for an injury in a public place?

    This is an important question to ask. For instance you might be hurt if you don’t look where you are going and your shoelaces are undone. If you trip over your laces or walk into a park bench because your attention was elsewhere, this would be your own fault.

    Let’s say you are walking through a park and you see a bench and you decide to sit down. If that bench was substandard, poorly-maintained and wobbly on its footings, it might collapse as you sat on it. If you received injuries from this accident they would not be your fault – the owner of the park may be found to be negligent in having caused the injury to take place.

    What should you do next?

    Your first port of call will probably be for medical assistance in dealing with your injuries. A visit to your GP will also provide evidence of your injuries that could potentially help in supporting a compensation claim later on. Your first thought will probably not be one of seeking compensation, but later on you might think about the situation and realise you could claim.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you can, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to learn more about your situation.

    Date Published: August 13, 2015

    Author: Allison Whitehead

    Category: Accident in a public place

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.