Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident

When most of us think about making a personal injury claim after a car accident, we imagine serious motorway pile-ups and high speed collisions leading to life-changing injuries. Stop right there. Did you know it’s possible to claim compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident? That’s as well as being entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, and a whole host of other things. Minor car accidents are actually very common, whether somebody has run into the back of your car at the traffic lights or you have been involved in a collision in a supermarket car park. You could get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline to find out if you could claim compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident.

Could you be injured in a minor accident?

You could still suffer injuries in a car accident at slow speeds – in fact you could even be injured if you are in a stationary vehicle. If you suffer injuries then you could be entitled to make a personal injury claim. You may still need to take time off work, which can reduce your income and leave you and your family struggling financially. But if your accident was somebody else’s fault then this isn’t fair and the law entitles you to make a claim for costs and losses related to your accident, including compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident.

Are you eligible for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident?

If you can answer “yes” to all of these questions then you could claim compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident:

  • Were you in a car accident that wasn’t your fault?
  • Were you injured?
  • Did your injuries require medical attention?
  • Did your accident happen in the last three years?
  • Did you have to take time off work to recover after your accident?

You could be entitled to compensation which could help you out financially during a difficult time. This will usually amount to more than any money you could receive as statutory sick pay – and remember that not everybody is eligible for statutory sick pay. If you are self-employed then you are not entitled to receive statutory sick pay.

What types of injuries are common in minor car accidents?

Whiplash is by far the most common injury to make a compensation claim for after a car accident – in fact, despite a crackdown on bogus claims, the number of whiplash claims is still rising. Here are a few examples of other injuries that are commonly sustained in minor car accidents:

  • Minor head injuries such as concussion, bumps and bruises
  • Facial bruises or lacerations
  • Strains and sprains, such as a sprained ankle or wrist
  • Dislocated shoulder
  • Simple fractures

Provided you sought medical attention for your injuries, you should be able to make a personal injury claim, and we can help you when it comes to claiming compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident.

What other things could you claim personal injury compensation for?

It’s not just your pain, suffering and loss of earnings that you could claim compensation for after a car accident. Since 2000, Accident Advice Helpline has helped thousands of people to claim the compensation they deserve for a range of different things, including:

  • The way their life has been affected after an accident
  • Medical expenses
  • Long-term prognosis
  • Childcare costs
  • Costs of making modification to the home (to make it more accessible)
  • Carer costs
  • Travel costs
  • Prescription medication costs

It’s best to chat to an expert personal injury solicitor about the types of things you would like to claim compensation for. Accident Advice Helpline’s lawyers will be able to tell you the type of evidence you will need to support your claim, and it’s our aim to make the whole process as simple and stress-free as possible.

How do minor car accidents happen?

Minor car accidents often occur at traffic lights, roundabouts or anywhere else where cars are stationary or moving slowly. For example, you could be injured in a rear-end collision if the driver behind you isn’t paying attention to a red traffic light. You could be involved in a collision with another car in a supermarket or shopping centre car park, or hit by another vehicle as you pull into or out of a junction at slow speeds. You could even suffer minor injuries after a pile-up on a motorway caused by a traffic jam and slow-crawling vehicles. Injuries occurring in these types of minor collisions could still be debilitating – for instance, you may still need to take a few days or weeks off work if you suffer from a whiplash injury.

Will you have to go to court?

The good news is that if you are seeking compensation for loss of earnings due to a minor car accident, you probably won’t have to go to court. Most claims can be processed in full over the phone, giving you one less thing to worry about. But even if your claim does end up in court, you will have Accident Advice Helpline there to support you and talk you through what happens next. Most personal injury claims can be resolved fairly simply and the whole process is usually quite stress-free when you use our services.

Claiming compensation for loss of earnings

The best thing to do after your accident is to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline. Our personal injury lawyers and advisors are here to make sure that you get the information and advice you need to decide whether or not to proceed with a claim. You can call us on 0800 689 5659 to find out more about making a claim and see if you are eligible to claim, or why not take the 30-second test™ on our website, to get an idea of how much compensation you could be entitled to? With over 16 years’ industry experience, we’re here to help.