Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Compensation for a foreign object in food

How much compensation for a foreign object in food?

Here are two very QUICK ways to find out:

  1. Call us on 0800 689 5659.
  2. Use our online 30-second test™.

Finding a foreign object in your food can be an upsetting and dangerous experience, especially if it has been consumed. Not only can glass or other objects be found in food you may have purchased at the supermarket, it may also occur in food you have ordered from a restaurant or take-away. 

Unfortunately, this should never happen but is shockingly common. If this unfortunate incident has happened to you then you could be entitled to compensation and should seek help from Accident Advice Helpline.

How to go about claiming compensation

Whether it is a restaurant, stockist or manufacturer, it is their obligation to provide you with food that is fit for consumption. Finding glass, or something else, in your food would be grounds for claiming compensation for a foreign object in food, and we are here to help you make your claim.

Seek support from the following

If you were to find glass or other foreign object in your food, you should seek support from the following people:

  • A doctor or other medical professional

    This should be done first and foremost. If you have suffered an injury through eating food containing a foreign object you should seek immediate medical attention. You should also see a doctor if you believe you have swallowed glass. Even if you have no apparent external or visible injuries, glass can cause serious internal injuries. If you are unsure whether you have actually swallowed the glass or not, seek medical advice to check.

  • The manufacturer or provider of the food

    If you are eating in a restaurant, you need to speak to the restaurant supervisor, manager, or whoever else is in charge. Don’t be fobbed off with simply accepting a free meal or an apology as this is unacceptable.After all, this is a serious matter. If possible, record the evidence, perhaps by taking a photo with your phone or retaining the contaminated food. If you find a foreign object in pre-packaged food, take photos and return the food in its original packaging with details of the injuries you have suffered. Ask the manufacturer to investigate and give you a written explanation as to how the object appeared in your food.

  • An environmental health officer

    You should contact your Local Authority and ask to speak with the Environmental Health Team. They will be able to investigate and pursue the responsible party on your behalf.

Get the right help now

contact us, Accident Advice Helpline. We will give you the right advice and information, which will enable you to make a decision as to whether you want to proceed with a compensation claim or not. If you do wish to proceed we will give you legal assistance each and every step of the way.

You can contact our friendly team by calling us on 0800 689 5659. Why not call now?