How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for finding glass in food

    Food establishments have a duty to register their business as a food business and they also have a duty to protect the public from harm. The Food Hygiene Regulations and the Food Safety Act require food business owners to follow certain procedures in order to avoid the risk of injuring or harming consumers. They must conduct risk assessments to identify the areas where potential hazards may be. They must also find a way to control these hazards to minimise risk to the best of their ability. The regulations also outline how food should be prepared and they give temperature guidelines to ensure that meat is cooked through.

    There are also guidelines for storing food and re-heating food. If restaurants or food establishments fail in any of these areas, they may be subject to an investigation if a member of the public falls ill or comes to harm. This could be because bacteria have caused a case of food poisoning or an outbreak, or it could be because a foreign object was found in food. This could be machinery parts, dirt or dust or it could be glass. If you have had a piece of glass in food and were injured, you could claim compensation for finding glass in food.

    When you can make a claim

    If you are thinking of claiming compensation for finding glass in food, the glass must have come from the food establishment that sold you the food. It is very likely you will suffer an injury if you find an object of this type therefore it should be relatively straightforward to prove that it did not come from another source. You can make a claim whenever there is evidence that negligence took place so, if the food establishment has failed in following the food hygiene regulations, they may have put you at more risk of injury. You may wish to get some representation for your claim.

    Where you can get help

    Accident Advice Helpline has a team of solicitors based around the UK who specialise in personal injury compensation claims. If you have been injured or have fallen ill due to a food business’ negligence, you could be entitled to compensation. We can offer you no-obligation advice when you call us and we also offer a no win, no fee** policy should you wish to pursue your claim. This ensures that you are protected financially.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.