How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for dangerous walking surfaces

    Compensation for dangerous walking surfaces

    Dangerous walking surfaces such as pavements that are not maintained or walkways with potholes and tripping hazards could cause injury to pedestrians who use them. It would be easy for someone to trip and fall, and they could experience bruising, cuts or sprains. A really bad fall could cause worse injuries, such as head injuries or broken bones in the face. A person could also become injured trying to avoid a dangerous area; they may have to walk beside the designated walkway and thus be in danger from vehicles on the road.

    Not all areas are maintained by the council — some private roads may be maintained by private individuals or companies, but they still have responsibility to ensure that dangerous areas are not easily accessed by the public and have warning signs to ensure that people are aware of dangers. A trip on a dangerous surface could also occur within a building; whoever owns and maintains this building has a responsibility to ensure that it is safe for the people who use it. This could be a public building such as a library, a shopping centre, a school or even your workplace, in which case your employer would be responsible.

    Your right to compensation

    If you have been injured due to dangerous walking surfaces, you could be eligible to receive compensation. Councils have a responsibility to maintain public land, which includes walkways and pavements that pedestrians use in towns, cities and villages. They need to repair potholes and broken pavements, and make sure that walking surfaces are safe. If someone is injured because of a poorly maintained walking surface, then the council may be liable for the injury caused and have to pay compensation.

    Whose fault was it?

    Negligence is the key word here, and if there is evidence that this played a part in your injury then there is a good chance that a successful claim could be made. Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we have a proven track record of helping people to make claims just like these. We have a team of accident and injury experts who can offer you free, no-obligation advice over the phone about your case; just call 0800 689 0500. You can discuss your case with them and decide if you would like to go through with a claim. If we do not take your case on or do not win your case, there is nothing for you to pay.

    Date Published: May 11, 2015

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Walking accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.