How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    What does compensation cover?

    Compensation is defined as the awarding of something, normally money, as recompense for a loss, an injury or for pain and suffering. If you have suffered a personal injury and would like to find out more about compensation, keep reading this article, or call Accident Advice Helpline. Our professional staff can give you a more comprehensive answer to the question, ‘What does compensation cover?’

    Why claim for compensation?

    Accidents and the resulting injury or illness can disrupt a person’s life significantly. If the accident was not your fault, but was the result of someone else’s carelessness, you could be entitled to claim compensation. Financial compensation can help ease the burden caused by the injury by providing a way to pay for medical bills, travel costs to and from the hospital, lost working time and even pain and suffering. Obviously each case is unique and compensation will be awarded according to the merits of each claim.

    Work-related compensation

    In the United Kingdom, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) control health and safety conditions in the workplace. They provide the framework and policies that employers and employees need to abide by in order to comply with regulations set out in terms of UK laws.

    If you have suffered an injury or illness as a result of your employer’s negligence to adhere to the regulations set out by the HSE, you could be entitled to a compensation claim. In the same way, if your family member has been killed in an accident at work, you can claim compensation on their behalf.

    Personal injury compensation

    If you have sustained a personal injury and it was not your fault, you could also be entitled to claim for compensation. For instance, if you have been in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, and as a result, you have been unable to work, you could claim for financial compensation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Types of compensation – what is covered?

    When thinking about “what does compensation cover?” it will be awarded in two different forms. The first type of compensation is for general damages. This would include payments for loss of future earnings and pain and suffering.

    The second type of compensation is for special damages, which will compensate the victim for actual financial losses caused by the accident up to the date of the hearing. This includes the cost of care, medical expenses, travelling costs incurred while receiving medical treatment and damage to property, such as the cost of repairing a vehicle.

    The court will decide the level of each type of compensation. This will be determined by a variety of factors, including the severity of the injury, the extent of the effects it has on the victim’s life and whether the victim was partly to blame for the accident, or entirely blameless.

    Who can help me with my compensation claim?

    Accident Advice Helpline has a free, 24-hour legal helpline. All of our staff are highly trained and knowledgeable and will be able to discuss the details surrounding your case, giving you professional advice on how to proceed with making your compensation claim. Call us now on 0800 180 4 123.

    Date Published: December 29, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.