How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for a child’s sprained ankle

    Have you ever had a sprained ankle? Child injuries are possibly worse than those suffered by an adult, because a child may be too young to realise what they have done. Children can find it much harder to cope with pain, too, and since a sprain is a painful injury, they may struggle to cope with it.

    So, what should you do if your child sprains their ankle, or you suspect they may have done this? Firstly, you should be aware that a sprain can mimic the symptoms suffered by someone who has broken their ankle. This is more likely to happen when someone has suffered a severe sprain, since they won’t be able to put any weight on it. So, if your child cannot do this, you should seek medical help. A trip to your GP or to a nearby minor injuries unit should suffice. Someone may send you and your child to casualty for an x-ray to confirm the nature of the injury.

    Treatment options for your child’s sprained ankle

    Most of the time, once a sprain is confirmed, your child will have a bandage applied to their ankle and perhaps be given crutches. These will enable them to keep their weight off the joint while it heals.

    If you were not with them when they incurred the injury, you should find out what happened. If you suspect someone else might have been negligent, you may wish to think about claiming compensation on behalf of your child. While there would normally be a three-year period in which a claim could be made, this doesn’t apply when the injured person is under 18. In this case, the period of three years begins from the day they turn 18.

    Finding out more about a possible claim

    It’s difficult to tell whether a claim might be possible, sometimes. The best bet is always to get expert advice from someone who regularly handles all kinds of compensation claims. A personal injury lawyer can do this for you, but if you ring the team at Accident Advice Helpline, you can have an informal chat with a personal injury advisor to start with.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Call 0800 689 0500 today, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile, and that’s all it takes to speak to someone about your child’s sprained ankle and the chances of claiming compensation because of it.

    Date Published: March 2, 2017

    Author: Rob Steen

    Category: Ankle injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.