How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for an accident caused by faulty traffic lights

    Compensation for an accident caused by faulty traffic lights

    We rely on traffic lights and road signs to keep us safe. Dual carriageways, roundabouts, busy roads – none of these would be as safe without traffic lights to control and slow down traffic, and our roads would be chaotic without them. But just like anything else in life, traffic lights can break down and when they do, it’s vital that proper procedures are followed, as if they are not, then accidents can and do happen. Usually, the local council will take responsibility for what happens if faulty traffic lights are a problem.

    Temporary lights may be provided to manage traffic in busy areas, or the road may be closed off to traffic altogether, if possible. In some cases, local police will divert traffic until the faulty traffic lights can be fixed. If these procedures are not followed and if nobody takes responsibility for managing the situation, then an accident is likely to happen. If you have reported faulty traffic lights to the council and they don’t close the road or take the necessary action, then an accident could happen, and if you’re injured, they could be held liable.

    Who’s to blame for your accident?

    There will always be freak accidents that nobody can explain – like the teenager killed in the West Midlands after a faulty traffic light failed due to a short circuit caused by a snail or slug. But generally speaking, the highways department of the local council are responsible for maintaining traffic lights and roads in your area. You should report faulty lights to the council and if they fail to act, they could be held liable if you are injured. It’s important that traffic lights are checked and maintained regularly, and you may be able to claim personal injury compensation if the council has been negligent. Even if you’re not sure who is to blame for your accident, you can get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline to discuss your accident in more detail, as we have over 16 years’ experience helping people with personal injury claims.

    A nationwide problem

    Because traffic lights are in use across the country, faulty traffic lights pose a nationwide problem. It’s not a case of if they go wrong – it’s more a case of when, and what the local council do to prevent accidents from happening afterwards. In Merseyside, 120 road traffic accidents were caused by faulty lights/incorrect signs since 2010. Traffic lights can cause serious accidents when they go wrong, and figures from the Department for Transport released in October 2015 revealed that faulty traffic lights were responsible for over 140 car crash injuries in Surrey since 2010. It’s not just the south of the country that’s at risk though – in Hull and East Yorkshire, government data released in 2016 revealed that traffic lights and road signs were at least partially to blame for 36 motoring injuries since 2010.

    Have you been injured by a faulty traffic light?

    If you have been injured in an accident caused by faulty traffic lights, you may find yourself eligible to make a 100% no-win, no-fee* personal injury claim with Accident Advice Helpline. Since 2000, we have helped hundreds of people to claim compensation for road traffic accidents, and if your local council has been negligent and failed to fix a traffic light which has caused your accident, you could make a claim. Here are just a few of the most common injuries to be sustained in road traffic accidents:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • Whiplash (the most common injury to suffer in a collision)
    • Cuts and bruises
    • Broken bones
    • Facial injuries
    • Eye injuries
    • Back injuries
    • Head injuries
    • Strains and sprains

    Even if you have suffered minor injuries, you could have a viable claim, provided you get in touch with us within three years of your accident.

    Your local council’s responsibilities

    Your local council is responsible for ensuring that the roads, traffic lights and signs in your area are maintained to a safe standard. This means that if you are injured in an accident caused by a road defect or a faulty traffic light, you could find yourself eligible to claim compensation against the local council. If you report a road or signal defect to your local highways department and they fail to take action, or they fail to notify the police, who have the power to close the road or put in place temporary traffic lights, then they could be held liable for any accidents which occur.

    How much compensation could you get for faulty traffic lights?

    The amount of compensation you could be awarded if you have been injured due to a faulty traffic light can vary, depending on the severity of your injuries. For example, if you have suffered a brain injury after a road traffic accident on a dual carriageway, the rest of your life could be affected and you may find yourself unable to work, or live your life to the full. You could make a personal injury claim not only for your injuries but also for any loss of earnings you have suffered now and in the future. The more serious your injuries and their impact on your life, the more compensation you could be entitled to claim. But even if you have suffered minor injuries, it’s still well worth making a personal injury claim, as you could receive compensation for your pain, suffering and loss of earnings.

    Why choose Accident Advice Helpline?

    We have over 16 years’ experience helping members of the public to claim compensation for road traffic accidents, which means our expert advisors are perfectly placed to offer you confidential, no-obligation advice. No matter how you have been injured, we’re here to make sure you get the compensation you are entitled to, so why not get in touch with us today? You can call us on 0800 689 0500 (or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile) to find out more about making a claim and take advantage of the 100% no-win, no-fee* service offered by our professional personal injury lawyers.

    Date Published: January 22, 2015

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Faulty product claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.