If you have been injured in a road collision, you may have escaped with minor injuries such as cuts, bruises and whiplash, or you may have suffered more serious, life-changing injuries. Or perhaps somebody you love has been hurt in a road collision? If another driver has been negligent and is responsible for your accident, you could make a claim for personal injury compensation. Common causes of road collisions can often be avoided if drivers are responsible behind the wheel, and you shouldn’t have to suffer in silence if you’ve been injured and somebody else is to blame.
What causes road collisions?
The majority of accidents on the UK’s roads are caused by driver error – and often these drivers are negligent. Here are a few examples of the common causes of road collisions:
- Drivers speeding, particularly in wet conditions or where visibility is poor
- Drivers using their mobile phone at the wheel or being otherwise distracted
Ignoring red lights or stop signs
- Overtaking when there is not room to do so
- Tailgating another vehicle, which could cause a rear-end collision
- Failing to slow down or stop at a junction, traffic lights or roundabout
- Road rage and aggressive manoeuvres
- Pedestrians stepping out in front of cars
- Swerving to avoid hazards on the road, such as animals or debris
- Poor road surface, for example damaged tarmac or potholes
- Vehicles which are not safe to drive – for example a car which has no valid MOT
If you’ve been injured by another driver’s negligence, you could suffer minor injuries such as whiplash, cuts and bruises or be more seriously injured. Serious injuries sustained in road collisions include head and brain injuries, broken bones, crush injuries, facial and eye injuries and spinal/back injuries.
Claiming personal injury compensation after a road collision
Whilst it’s easy to say the common causes of road collisions can be avoided, you can only take responsibility for your own driving and you have no control over how other road users behave. But there is some good news. If you have been injured in a road collision, whether you’ve sustained minor or life-changing injuries, Accident Advice Helpline could help you claim the compensation you deserve. Our lawyers work on a 100% no win, no fee basis, so there are no upfront fees to worry about, and it’s unlikely you’ll need to go to court, as we’re able to process most claims in full over the phone. So call us today on 0800 689 0500 to find out more about making a personal injury claim.