How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Cockroaches in food found in Waltham Forest Indian take away


    A routine inspection of an Indian take away in Highams Park found dead and alive cockroaches in food at the establishment. Environmental health officers of Waltham Forest Council made the inspection discovering filthy conditions and also found the building to be in serious disrepair. The Spice E4 take away was subsequently closed down as part of an emergency hygiene prohibition notice obtained from Stratford Magistrate’s Court. The German cockroaches were found moving around all over the kitchen floors and, astonishingly, there were several live and dead cockroaches in the cellophane dispenser. Conditions were deemed to be an immediate risk to public health as cockroaches contain many bacterial pathogens which are likely to have been transferred to food. The cockroaches were able to access the areas where food was prepared and could also have easily accessed the food itself, some of which was in open containers.

    There were also several dead cockroaches littered throughout the take away. Poor maintenance of the building and internals provided easy access to cockroaches. These included several holes in walls and lino flooring coming away. Deposits of grease and food waste were also found throughout the establishment showing a lack of care and hygiene. The owners were forced to pay £569 to the council and carry out a thorough clean of the building and have since re-opened for business.

    Poor hygiene and maintenance

    Poor maintenance of a food establishment can allow insects and vermin to enter the premises which can then contaminate food. The cockroaches in food found in this restaurant could have caused a member of the public to become seriously ill with an infection therefore, it had to be closed to allow the owners to make the building fit for business again. If you have come down with food poisoning after eating at a certain establishment, you may be entitled to compensation for your suffering.

    How to make a compensation claim

    Should you have come down with a food-borne illness because of poor food hygiene at a restaurant, take away or other food establishment, you may be able to win a cash payout for your suffering. At Accident Advice Helpline we believe that you are entitled to make a claim for any illness or injury that could easily have been prevented and we can help take you through the process of claiming compensation. Call to speak with one of our solicitors today about your claim.

    Source: East London and West Essex Guardian 

    Date Published: October 8, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.