What classes as needle stick injury claims?

Do you need to know what classes as needle stick claims? We offer free, no obligation advice over the phone at Accident Advice Helpline. You can call us at any hour, any day of the week, and we’ll be happy to take the time to discuss your situation with you. We can’t advise you on related medical issues but we can help you to understand your legal options. If you’re considering making a compensation claim, we can often give you an idea of what it might be worth.

Claiming regulations

The compensation claims process is restricted by certain regulations. The first of these that you need to be aware of is the three-year limit on making claims. This means that you normally need to take action within three years of being injured by a needle. There are a few rare exceptions to this rule, so if you think yours might be a special case, let us know and we’ll see what can be done.

In addition to this, there will need to be a medical record that confirms that you suffered a needle stick injury.  If you were injured in a hospital, this is usually fairly straightforward. If, however, you were injured by a needle in a public place, such as a park, you will need to go and see a doctor as soon as possible. This is a good idea anyway as, depending on the circumstances, the doctor may decide that you need blood tests or preventative treatment to reduce the risk of you contracting a disease. If you can do so safely, it’s a good idea to take the needle with you, as this can help with the testing process.

Types of needle stick injury claims

Even when great care is taken, unattended needle sticks can lead to injuries occurring in hospitals. In fact, hospital staff are at particular risk, and may themselves wish to claim compensation if they feel they have been exposed to particular risk, for instance because they have been asked to work unreasonably long shifts. When dealing with any kind of hospital related claim, it’s a good idea to have the help of a specialist medical negligence solicitor, who will be experienced in related laws and regulations that confuse many generalist solicitors. At Accident Advice Helpline we are proud to have some very good medical negligence solicitors on our books and we’re happy to introduce you to one with suitable experience.

Aside from medical claims, the other most common kind of needle stick claim we deal with involves discarded needles, which have usually been used for injecting drugs. Given the high rate of blood-borne diseases in intravenous drug using communities, these are obviously a big worry, and any compensation settlement will take into account the psychological distress caused by this kind of injury, even if you don’t become ill. Claims like this are usually made against the authorities or private landowners responsible for keeping safe the places where the needles are encountered. Again, if you need us to, we can find you a solicitor who can supply you with the help you need.

To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )