How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How claims against uninsured drivers are dealt with

    How claims against uninsured drivers are dealt with

    If you’re involved in an accident and the other party is an uninsured driver, you could still be eligible to make a claim for personal injury compensation, although the claims process may be slightly different from normal. Whether you are involved in an accident as a pedestrian, driver, passenger, cyclist or motorcyclist, you can seek the services of a personal injury lawyer to receive advice on your next steps.

    What happens next?

    Accidents where the other party is uninsured should always be reported to the police. If the vehicle involved is insured for another person to drive, then you may be able to claim through the insurance company. Whether or not they decide to pay out is totally at their discretion. If the insurance company are unwilling to help, or if there is no insurance in place on the vehicle at all, then your only option is to try and claim through the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) – their Uninsured Driver Scheme is designed to help those involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

    Public roads

    It’s worth noting that you can only claim for personal injury compensation if your accident happened on a public road, as there is no legal obligation for vehicles to be insured to drive on private premises or roads. If your accident took place in a public car park or employer’s premises, employer’s liability insurance should be in place to protect you. In the event that the other vehicle was stolen, if the police are able to identify the driver and the vehicle’s owner has insurance in place, the insurance company may decide to pay out for your compensation claim – again, this is at their discretion and if they are unable to help you will need to contact the MIB.

    How Accident Advice Helpline can help

    We know that any road traffic accident is a traumatic experience; even more so if you’ve been hit by an uninsured driver. Our friendly, professional team of personal injury compensation specialists will work with you to make the claims process as easy and quick as possible; most claims can be processed over the phone, so there’s usually no need to attend court. Because we’re backed by our patron Esther Rantzen, you know you can trust Accident Advice Helpline to handle your claim sensitively and confidentially. Just give our freephone hotline a ring today (we’re open 24/7) and start the ball rolling on your claim.

    Date Published: February 23, 2014

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Uninsured driver claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.