How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claiming for v. cholerae food poisoning

    You’ve probably heard of cholera, but you wouldn’t expect to experience food poisoning from the bacteria responsible for this condition. However, every year, a small percentage of people get v. cholerae food poisoning and therefore suffer a range of symptoms.

    The proper name for this bacterium is vibrio cholerae. While it can cause a variety of symptoms, it is best-known for giving people excessive diarrhoea that can be very watery. The bacteria infect the small intestine and can lead to severe dehydration in anyone who is affected by it.

    Which foods might lead to cholera developing?

    This is far rarer in the UK than other types of bacteria that cause similar conditions. Since the condition is notable by the watery diarrhoea that results (it can also cause a person to feel and be sick), it is possible to guess this would be the culprit if someone falls ill in this way.

    The bacteria can be ingested through contaminated food or water. It often occurs through eating fish that has been infected with the bacteria. Therefore, eating fish can bring with it a greater chance of being infected, although the likelihood of this would be extremely rare.

    Have you experienced v. cholerae food poisoning?

    If so, you will know the main treatment for it is to offer rehydration therapy. The nature of the illness means you can lose significant amounts of bodily fluids in a short time. Replacing these fluids is vital, otherwise you can become dehydrated and this can be potentially dangerous.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Whether you are still suffering from your illness or the v. cholerae food poisoning has now passed, you may want to chat with one of Accident Advice Helpline’s advisors to find out about the chances of a claim. We don’t just deal with accidents, although you’d be forgiven for thinking that because of our name. Some of our lawyers have been chosen for their skills in fighting compensation cases on behalf of clients who have had food poisoning because of negligence in food preparation.

    All you need to do to see if they can help you is to pick up your home phone and call 0800 689 0500 free today. If you’d rather use a mobile, you can ring our team on 0333 500 0993 instead. Whatever number you use, getting in touch to speak with someone is easier than you may think.

    Date Published: November 23, 2016

    Author: Allison Whitehead

    Category: Food poisoning claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.