How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claiming for food poisoning from fish

    Food poisoning from fish is usually caused by eating contaminated prawns or shellfish such as mussels. Bacteria enter the fish and shellfish in the water, and if the fish or seafood is not cooked properly, the result could be food poisoning. Fish is packed with omega-3 which is good for us, but if it isn’t handled correctly then you could be left suffering from nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps – not what you expect after a nice meal out at your favourite restaurant.

    You could find you are able to claim compensation within three years of suffering food poisoning, and you’ll need the services of a personal injury lawyer to find out if you are eligible; that’s where Accident Advice Helpline can help you.

    How does food poisoning from fish happen?

    Out of date shellfish, shellfish or fish that has not been cooked or stored properly and poor food hygiene practices are the most common causes of food poisoning from fish. Shellfish such as oysters, for example, which are served raw, carry a high risk of food poisoning. If the restaurant you are eating at has been negligent in some way – for example if the prawns you’re eating are not fully cooked or if the mussels in your seafood bisque are past their expiry date – then you could have a viable claim for personal injury compensation.

    Establishments that serve food have a duty of care to the public to ensure that the food they serve is safe to eat and won’t cause illness. The first thing you should do after realising you’re suffering from food poisoning is to get in touch with the place where you ate and let them know – there may be other people in a similar situation. Then you could consider making a personal injury claim for your pain and suffering.

    Should you claim compensation for food poisoning?

    That’s entirely your decision. In some cases, food poisoning symptoms can linger for months or even years. Children or elderly people can become seriously dehydrated and require treatment in hospital, which may mean taking time off work to look after an ill family member, affecting your finances.

    Accident Advice Helpline can help you to claim compensation for lost wages and other expenses if you or a relative have suffered food poisoning. Call our freephone helpline today on 0800 689 0500 (0333 500 0993 from mobiles) to find out more about making a claim.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.