How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claiming against an employer who fails to provide adequate protective clothing

    If you need advice about claiming against an employer who fails to provide adequate protective clothing, the highly trained team at Accident Advice Helpline can help. You can call us at any hour of the day or night, seven days a week, and the initial consultation will cost you nothing even if you decide not to claim with us. In many cases we will be able to tell you straight away if you have a legitimate claim, and we may also be able to give you an idea of how much compensation you are entitled to.

    Your employer’s obligations

    Regardless of any contract or waiver you may have signed, your employer has certain duties toward you as an employee under the law. One of these duties is to provide you with protective clothing for the work that you are expected to perform and to ensure that this clothing remains in adequate condition. Additionally, your employer is responsible for ensuring that you know the correct way to wear protective clothing and how to put it on correctly. If your employer fails in any of these responsibilities, you can write to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and ask them to investigate. Your employer cannot sack you for doing this. If you work in a unionised workplace, you can ask the union to do this for you whether you are a member of the union or not.

    If you have been injured as a result of your employer failing to fulfil one or more of the above duties, you may be able to claim compensation. To be eligible to make a claim, you will need to have seen a doctor as soon as possible after your accident, and in most cases you will also need to make the claim within three years.

    It is usually best to take legal advice as soon after you are injured as possible to ensure that your rights are protected, and Accident Advice Helpline is available 24/7 on 0800 689 0500 to help you get the claims process started.

    A record of your accident

    Any accident that takes place in the workplace has to be recorded in a work accident book, and you should ask for a copy of the entry regarding your accident as soon as possible to confirm the details of what happened to you. You should also write your own account down as soon as possible, while the details are still fresh in your mind.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Serious workplace accidents should also be reported to the HSE. Your solicitor will be able to access any report of this kind and use it to support your case.

    The right representation

    If you are claiming against an employer who fails to provide adequate protective clothing, you will need a solicitor who specialises in industrial accidents. Accident Advice Helpline can put you in touch with one of our expert lawyers, all of whom work on a no win, no fee* basis.

    In most cases you will be able to deal with your solicitor over the phone so you won’t need to worry about travelling if you are still recovering from your injuries. In fact, many of our clients don’t even have to travel to court, as we are able to negotiate fair settlements for them out of court. In any event, we are committed to getting you the best possible compensation package, and you will always have the final say in how we move your case forward.

    Date Published: July 27, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Accident at work claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.