Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Claiming against drunk drivers

Thousands of accidents a year are caused by drivers getting behind the wheel whilst they are over the limit. We all know that you should be alert and in control of your vehicle at all times, and that drinking can affect your judgement and reaction times, but that doesn’t stop some people from operating a vehicle whilst they are drunk. Did you know that drinking can reduce your night vision by up to 25%, as well as making it harder to see objects in the distance? Blurred or double vision and reduced peripheral vision are all common side-effects of being over the limit too, and unfortunately many drivers don’t realise this until it is too late and they are involved in an accident.

If you have been injured in a drink driving accident, or if somebody you love has been killed, claiming against drunk drivers is possible within three years of your accident, with Accident Advice Helpline. Drink drive accidents account for 14% of all road deaths in the UK, which may not seem like a huge figure, but it is still far higher than it should be. 

What’s the legal blood alcohol level in the UK?

The drink driving blood alcohol limit in the UK is 80mg per 100ml of blood. If you are found to be driving a vehicle with more alcohol than this in your system then you could face an unlimited fine, a six month prison sentence and also a driving ban for at least a year. If you are involved in an accident and you kill somebody whilst over the limit, you could receive a 14 year prison sentence, an unlimited fine and a driving ban of at least two years – and you may need to sit further tests before you get your licence back. On average 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured in drink drive collisions in the UK each year – and if you or somebody you love has been hurt, you can be sure that the person responsible will face legal proceedings by claiming against drunk drivers.

Have you been injured in an accident involving a drunk driver?

Drink driving has serious consequences and making a personal injury claim after being injured in an accident involving a driver who is over the limit is similar to any other personal injury claim – the main difference being that criminal proceedings will be brought against the driver at fault. You must ensure that you call the police if you are involved in a road traffic accident and you suspect that the driver is drunk. They are obliged by law to attend, and they will check to see if the driver is over the limit. If they are, then this information will be used as evidence in your personal injury claim.

Claiming against drunk drivers

Claiming against drunk drivers doesn’t have to be daunting. You may have been lucky enough to escape with minor injuries if your vehicle was rear ended by a drunk driver – or you may have been crossing the road as a pedestrian and sustained life-changing injuries. The Department for Transport revealed figures in 2012 that showed 1,210 people involved in drink-drive accidents suffered serious injuries, with 8,500 people slightly injured. You’ll need the services of a personal injury lawyer if you’re considering claiming against drunk drivers, and you can claim not only for your injuries, but for any money you have lost as a result of your accident – for example loss of earnings if you need to take time off work to recover. If the driver in question fails to stop or flees the scene of the accident, then the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) may still be able to help you claim against an untraceable or uninsured driver.

Are drink-driving accidents on the rise?

In 2013, figures revealed that 280 people were killed in drink-drive crashes in the UK, that’s an increase of 17% on the previous year’s figures. Yet according to figures published recently, the number of drink-drive injuries has actually fallen by 77% overall during the past three decades, although the number of fatalities reached a plateau in 2010. What does this mean for road safety? Well, it means that you should still exercise caution and although you can’t protect yourself from being involved in an accident with another driver who is under the influence, you should never travel as a passenger in a car with anybody who has been drinking.

Injuries from road traffic accidents

If you’re considering claiming against drunk drivers after being injured by somebody who was driving whilst over the limit and caused your accident, then you may be pleased to hear that Accident Advice Helpline can help you to make a no win no fee claim. Injuries from road traffic accidents can range from minor to serious, and provided you sought medical attention for your injuries, you could be eligible to make a claim, even for minor injuries such as whiplash (one of the most common injuries sustained in collisions). Whether you have suffered facial fractures, a head injury, broken bones or just some cuts, bruises and whiplash, you have three years to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer and make a claim for compensation, so it makes sense to start thinking about your options whilst you are off work recovering from your injuries.

Accident Advice Helpline can help with claiming against drunk drivers

You might be ready to make a claim after being injured in a drink-drive accident, or perhaps you need some advice about the claims process and to find out whether you have a viable claim. The best thing to do in either situation is to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline. We have handled hundreds of claims for drink-drive accidents involving serious and minor injuries, and our lawyers operate on a no win no fee basis. You can call us at any time on 0800 689 5659 to find out more about making a claim today.