How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claiming compensation from a negligent care home

    At some point in your life, you may have to consider entering a relative into a care home if they become too infirm for you to care for later in life or they become ill. This may be a difficult decision as you will be required to put your trust in carers and residential nurses to care for your relative to the best of their ability. Care home workers undergo training to ensure that they are safe while handling patients but they also undergo training in order to keep residents safe. This means they must be able to remind residents to take medication, they must be able to bathe and dress residents where needed and they must keep a care plan of their activities and the health of each individual resident.

    A negligent care home may fail in their duty of care by not providing the correct training to workers or by failing to ensure their workers are treating patients with the respect and sensitivity they deserve. Where there is evidence of negligence, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

    How negligence can be proven

    Unfortunately, as you are not always present to watch how care home workers treat your relative, you may find it difficult to prove any suspected negligence. As it is rare to find a negligent care home and all must train their workers appropriately, it is not always the case that negligence is, in fact, taking place. However, if you notice a change in the behaviour of your relative or they are telling you that something untoward is happening while they are in a care home, you have the right to question the care home on any incidents that may have occurred. Some care homes will allow you to install a camera if you have noticed that your relative has been injured and you suspect negligence. If there is evidence of negligence, you may be able to claim for compensation.

    When to start your claim

    You can give Accident Advice Helpline a call at any time of the day to ask for some no-obligation advice or to begin your claim straight away. Where there is evidence of negligence on the part of a care home, we may be able to win you a substantial cash payout to help you cope with the financial repercussions of your family member’s ordeal. You can call us free on 0800 689 0500 or contact us via our website using our online 30-second test, which will also give you an idea of how successful your claim is likely to be.

    Date Published: July 23, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.