Claiming compensation for food hygiene breaches

Food hygiene is a serious issue, and any business serving food or drink to customers must meet certain food hygiene standards. You can check the food hygiene rating of any restaurant, takeaway or food shop on the Food Standards Agency website. But what about if you’re eating in your workplace canteen or grabbing a burger from the burger van near your work – are these places also covered by food hygiene standards? The answer is yes, and you can take action if you’ve become ill as a result of food hygiene breaches.

Spotting a cockroach in your work’s canteen or being struck down by food poisoning after eating a dodgy burger is no laughing matter – you can get in touch with your local council’s environmental health department to report these offences. Officers will normally investigate and issue warnings which may include an ‘improvement required’ certificate; in serious cases premises may even be closed whilst they are investigated and deep cleaning takes place. Claiming compensation for food hygiene breaches may also be an option you wish to look into.

How can you protect yourself against food poisoning?

Of course there is no way to protect yourself completely from food poisoning, but there are a number of things you can do if you’re eating away from home:

  • Check the premises and your surroundings to see if they look clean – if not, don’t eat there
  • Are staff clean and well groomed? Are they wearing gloves or other protective coverings when handling food?
  • How is food stored – have you bought a sandwich or drink that doesn’t appear to have been properly refrigerated? Best to return it
  • Check the food hygiene rating on the Food Standards Agency website to ensure the premises is safe

If you are unlucky enough to be struck down by food poisoning despite taking precautions, you may be considering claiming compensation for food hygiene breaches – make sure you don’t miss out as there is a time limit of three years in which to make a claim.

Making a claim for compensation

Contact Accident Advice Helpline if you or someone you care about has been affected by food poisoning – we’ll get you the compensation you deserve. We can usually tell you within 30 seconds whether you have a viable claim, and because we’re highly recommended by our patron Esther Rantzen for our excellent customer service, you know you can rely on us to handle your claim professionally and efficiently. You can take the 30-second test on our website right now, to find out how much you could claim, or call our freephone helpline for confidential, no-obligation advice.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )