Claiming compensation for failure to record patient information

When visiting your GP or the hospital, physicians are required to record any relevant information regarding your visit. This includes your illness, the diagnosis, the prescription you were given and any further information such as referral to a specialist. If sent to hospital, administration staff will be responsible for sending you any information regarding further appointments and what to expect when you arrive. In addition, your personal information must be kept up to date, including your name address and telephone number as well as any allergies or medication you are currently taking. All of this is essential to ensure that any doctors, nurses or other physicians who look at your file will be aware of your medical history. It also helps physicians to diagnose illness as they are able to look at your lifestyle and assess you thoroughly. If there has been a miscommunication and information is not taken down correctly by either the receptionist, administration staff, nurse or GP, then you may be able to make a claim.

Failure to record patient information

The staff involved in keeping your information up to date and recording all information as it becomes available are fully trained to be as accurate and detailed as possible. However, if information is mis-recorded or your information is not taken down at all, there could be consequences. For example, a failure to record the correct diagnosis could result in a patient receiving the wrong treatment which may cause the original illness to become worse or progress. A failure to accurately record your address or any personal information could result in you missing urgent appointments or not receiving notice of these appointments for treatment. Additionally, if your personal information becomes mixed up with someone else’s, someone could become seriously ill if the wrong treatment is given to either patient. If incorrectly recorded patient information results in injury or illness, you may be able to win a cash payout.

How to claim for a failure to record patient information

Accident Advice Helpline can assist you in making a compensation claim for any failure to record information which is vital to your health and well-being. If you fall ill due to someone’s failure to take down information about allergies, previous illness or any medication you are taking then we may be able to make a claim on your behalf. Our helpline is free to call and is available 24/7 so you can pick up the phone any time. The person who was originally responsible for taking down your information can be held liable if there is evidence of negligence.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )