How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claiming compensation for failed sterilisation

    Claiming compensation for failed sterilisation

    Sterilisation can be carried out for many reasons, one of which is the desire not to have children. However, some women may be sterilised when they feel they have a large enough family or it may be carried out for medical reasons. Males may undergo a vasectomy for similar reasons and the procedure is over 99% effective. A vasectomy is a minor operation which involves cutting of the sperm duct to prevent fertilisation.

    Female sterilisation is the more complex of the two procedures and involves the blockage of the fallopian tubes. This can be carried out under local or general anaesthetic and is more than 99% effective. Although these procedures can be beneficial to those who have had difficult pregnancies or already have a large family, unexpected pregnancies may still occur in rare cases. You may also be able to claim compensation if you have a failed sterilisation operation in some cases.

    Natural sterilisation reversal vs negligence

    Your sterilisation procedure may reverse itself without any negligence taking place. The fallopian tubes may rejoin or the sperm duct may repair itself which could result in unwanted pregnancy. However, patients are warned about this before the procedure and it is a naturally occurring phenomenon. A failed sterilisation can be devastating for those involved and may have an adverse effect on relationships.

    If the surgeon has not applied the clips which block the Fallopian tubes properly, then they may fall off, causing the procedure to fail. If there is evidence of this, then you may be able to make a compensation claim should you have an unwanted pregnancy post-operation. As some people may want to be sterilised due to an inability to bring up a child (e.g. due to disability) then a failed procedure can be catastrophic to those involved. If you have been the victim of medical negligence in this way, you may be able to make a claim for compensation where there is evidence that someone else was at fault.

    Who to contact about medical negligence compensation

    Accident Advice Helpline can assist you in making a claim for compensation if you were the victim of medical negligence. You must have evidence that the procedure was botched or failed because someone else was at fault. We can help you obtain this if you choose to pursue your case. As we operate on a no win, no fee* basis, any cash payout you win will help you financially should you fall pregnant or your partner falls pregnant after a sterilisation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: July 12, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.