How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Claiming compensation from a community midwife

    Community midwives can operate within a hospital, a clinic or in GP centres to provide antenatal care to expecting mothers. They may also visit women’s homes to provide advice and expert knowledge on pregnancy, giving birth, feeding and caring for a baby. Your midwife will often be the first person you turn to when you become pregnant and you will be given a unique care plan to help you through your pregnancy as well as your birth. Midwives also refer women for further help if something goes wrong during pregnancy or you have concerns about its progress.

    A lot of trust is put into a midwife to take care of you and your baby therefore it is essential that they follow all protocol and refer you to another medical professional when they are not qualified to make a diagnosis or decision. In rare cases, there may be an injury sustained during birth which your midwife could have prevented. Although these cases are uncommon, they can cause injury to your baby and can be very distressing for both mother and child.

    How negligence can occur

    It is important to remember that midwives are trained professionals who will do everything they can to reduce the risks associated with pregnancy and childbirth. However, on occasion, a midwife may be negligent causing injury or distress to you or your baby. Birth injuries may include Erb’s Palsy, which is an injury to the nerves in the shoulder from pulling at the baby during childbirth, and brain injuries. You could suffer injuries during childbirth which may have been unnecessary if your midwife was vigilant during childbirth. If you think that you have suffered an injury due to negligence on the part of your midwife, you are entitled to inquire about claiming compensation.

    How to claim compensation from a community midwife

    No matter where you give birth, whether it is in the home or in a hospital, you are entitled to claim for compensation if you or your baby was injured because of negligence. Where there is evidence of this negligence, you could win a cash sum from the midwife at fault. Start by contacting Accident Advice Helpline to obtain no-obligation advice from a solicitor. Dial our free 24-hour helpline on 0800 689 0500 or use our 30-second test online to determine the likelihood of success of your claim.

    We operate under a strict no win, no fee policy therefore you won’t have to suffer financially to obtain a cash payout if you were injured because of someone else’s negligence.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: July 22, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.