How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who do I claim against for a learner driver road accident?

    Who do I claim against for a learner driver road accident?

    Who you claim against for a learner driver road accident depends on the insurance status of the learner. As soon as possible after an accident like this you should talk to the police, and if you were driving at the time then you should talk to your own insurer. They will be able to advise you on the status of the learner’s insurance.

    All learner drivers are supposed to be insured before they start driving on the roads. If they are, you can claim against them as you would against any other driver. If they are not, you will have to make a claim against the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). This is an organisation set up by insurance companies, in conjunction with the Department of Transport, to protect people caught up in traffic accidents of this sort.

    Whoever you intend to claim against, here at Accident Advice Helpline we are here to help you. We can give you free no-obligation advice over the phone at a time that’s convenient to you. Just give us a call and we will be happy to assist.

    How claiming works with regards to a learner driver

    The principle on which compensation law is founded basically says that if you are injured and someone else is at fault, you should receive compensation that enables you to return to living your life as if nothing had happened. In practice, there are rules that limit how this works, which is why it is useful to have an organisation like ours there to advise you. The most important thing to be aware of is that there are time limits in force, which can adversely affect your claim.

    In order to have an eligible claim, you must not only contact the police and your insurer straight away, but you must also see a doctor. This is because you will need a formal record confirming that the accident caused your injuries and establishing how they have affected you. If you wish to claim compensation for your injuries, you will normally have to do so within three years. If you need to make a claim for damage to your vehicle or other property, the usual limit is three years, but this drops to nine months if you are claiming against the MIB. In the latter case, claims are also subject to a £300 excess.

    Open Claim Calculator

    How to get help

    In addition to advising you on who to claim against for a learner driver road accident, our team can also provide an experienced road traffic accident solicitor who will work with you in order to make a successful claim. Because of the way in which we operate, you will not be required to make an upfront payment in order to for us to represent you. Remember, the other side is sure to have expert lawyers, so it’s important that you do as well.

    Successfully claiming compensation can help you to get your life back on track and regain your confidence on the road. It won’t solve all the problems that a serious accident can cause, but it will put you back in the driving seat. Call us today on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to get started on your compensation claim.

    Date Published: October 23, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Road Traffic Accident Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.