How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How do I claim for food poisoning?

    How do I claim for food poisoning?

    If you suffered from food poisoning and it was not your fault, you may have a case for compensation. What you may not be aware of is how to make a claim for food poisoning.

    It is always wise to seek legal advice if you want to make a claim following a bout of food poisoning. You can contact us at Accident Advice Helpline because we have solicitors who are experienced in dealing with this sort of case.

    If you have suffered from food poisoning you should also make contact with your local Environmental Health Officer. This department will launch a full investigation and their findings could form a key part of your claim.

    In order to make a claim for food poisoning you must not have been responsible for it, and the person who was responsible must be found.

    You may have eaten in a restaurant or café and suffered symptoms of food poisoning, such as sickness and vomiting, after the meal. Alternatively, you might have purchased food from a shop or supermarket and then fallen sick after eating it. You can also make a claim if you suffer food poisoning while on a package holiday.

    Open Claim Calculator

    There are several causes of food poisoning. The preparation could have been unhygienic, or the food might have not been properly cooked. It may have been improperly stored and brought into contact with already contaminated food.

    If a claim is to be made, it will be made against the person or organisation which allowed you to come into contact with the food which made you ill. This could be the café or restaurant, the company which produced the food or, in the case of own-brand products, the supermarket brand named on the packet. In the case of food poisoning on a package holiday, the food poisoning claim could be made against the tour operator.

    One of the problems of making a food poisoning claim is in identifying what actually caused it. After all most people have two, three, or four meals a day. It could also take a while before the feelings of sickness start. If, however, you have suspicions that a particular food was responsible for your illness, you should freeze any remnants and keep any packaging as possible evidence. For meals that were consumed away from home, you should retain the receipts.

    If you are suffering from food poisoning you should seek medical attention as soon as possible, either at the hospital or the doctor’s surgery. The medical notes could play a crucial role in your food poisoning claim.

    A successful claim for food poisoning will not only offer financial recompense for the physical sickness caused, but also for any costs incurred such as lost wages for time off work recovering, and prescription costs.

    If we believe that you have a valid claim for food poisoning we are able to offer you representation on a ‘no win, no fee**’ basis. This will relieve you of the worry of having to meet legal bills. If the claim is unsuccessful you will not have to pay us anything. Call us free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no obligation advice about making a claim.

    Date Published: October 12, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Food poisoning claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.