How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How to claim Farmer’s Lung compensation

    Unless you happen to work in the farming industry you probably haven’t heard of Farmer’s Lung before. However if you are involved in this industry you might be reading this article because you are suffering the symptoms of this condition. If so, read on to find out whether you could make any kind of claim to get Farmer’s Lung compensation.

    The condition is an allergic one. It is caused when farmers or farm workers inhale the dust that is created when hay, straw, corn or any other crop goes mouldy. People in this industry know the term Farmer’s Lung but the official term is extrinsic allergic alveolitis. Several other terms are also used to describe the condition and the area of the body it affects, namely the lungs.

    Is this a condition that develops over the long term?

    Generally the answer is yes. To begin with you can be exposed to the dust and not experience a problem. However, over time you can become allergic to it and this causes the condition to develop. You won’t necessarily get it while you are around the dust and mouldy hay at the time, but a few hours after you have left the site you might start experiencing symptoms.

    As a result of the allergic reaction it is best to consider the consequences of not doing anything about it. Ideally the dust and mould should be prevented in the first place. This can be done purely by making sure the crops are dry and not allowed to become damp so the mould can develop. The use of a mask also makes it much more difficult to breathe in any dust that may be present.

    Do you think you could claim Farmer’s Lung compensation?

    If you are working on a farm and you think your employer has exposed you to the conditions that can cause this illness to reveal itself, you may have a good chance to seek an amount of compensation as a result. If it is diagnosed early you may be able to get treatment and minimise the odds that the condition will get worse. However, if you do not receive a mask at work or the proper processes aren’t used, compensation could be very likely.

    Open Claim Calculator

    To find out more, call Accident Advice Helpline. Our number is 0800 689 0500 and our experts can reveal whether you could claim.

    Date Published: September 17, 2015

    Author: Allison Whitehead

    Category: Farming accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.