How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who do I claim against for criminal injury?

    If you suffer a personal injury that is not your fault you would expect to claim against the person who caused the injury, but with criminal injuries this is not necessarily the case. So, you might ask, “Who do I claim against for criminal injury?” The simple answer is, the publicly financed Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, an organisation specifically dedicated to compensating the innocent victims of crime.

    When criminal injuries are involved it is often impossible to claim against the party at fault, which is what usually happens in personal injury claims. As a result, dealing with the effects of a criminal injury can be a stressful experience, perhaps causing financial strain due to loss of earnings. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority exists to provide compensation where the party at fault cannot, for whatever reason, be found and/or made to pay. At the Accident Advice Helpline we have a large team of specialist solicitors who will quickly and efficiently process your application for compensation.

    The claims process

    When considering a claim for criminal injury there are several conditions to be met before an award can be made. The first is the severity of your injury; the conditions of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme assume a minimum level of £1,000. Therefore, any claim for injury that would result in a payment of less than this amount will not be accepted. The maximum level of compensation payable is £500,000, which means that even serious injuries can be adequately dealt with.

    The second condition is the reporting of the crime itself; the crime that caused your injury must have been reported to the police for your claim to eligible. It does not matter if you were the victim, a witness or were injured while trying to prevent the crime, as long as the incident was reported you are eligible to claim. Even in cases where no conviction is brought you may still be eligible to receive compensation.

    Finally, the injury must have been sustained within the past two years in England, Scotland or Wales. Injuries sustained outside this timeframe or elsewhere in the world cannot be claimed for. When your case is being considered your co-operation with the police, any previous convictions and your behaviour before and during the crime may also be considered. A quick phone call to Accident Advice Helpline will help you establish whether or not you have a strong case.

    Open Claim Calculator

    In most cases claims are dealt with entirely over the phone and you will not be called upon to attend court. In some instances, where claims are made for on-going treatment or loss of earnings, a medical assessment may be required, but this will be carried out as close to your home as possible.

    If you are still uncertain about the answer to the question, ‘Who do I claim against for criminal injury,’ a simple phone call to the Accident Advice Helpline is all that is necessary. You can rest assured that we will do all it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.

    The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

    Formed in 1964, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority operates a 25-level, tariff-based compensation system, with awards ranging from £1,000 to £500,000. The organisation was specifically set up to ensure that everyone is able to receive the compensation they are entitled to if they have suffered as a consequence of criminal injury. The authority is also able to make additional awards for on-going treatment, loss of earnings and fatalities.

    Date Published: October 12, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Criminal injury claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.