How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How to claim council premises accident compensation

    How to claim council premises accident compensation

    Council buildings can be busy places, with members of the public visiting for a number of different reasons, from housing benefits claims to noise complaints about their neighbours. In such a busy, fast-paced environment, accidents can occur if health and safety is not a priority, and if you have been injured in a council building, either as a member of staff or a member of the public, you could claim council premises accident compensation.

    You might be wondering about the types of accidents which could happen – we’ll get to that, but first let us tell you that Accident Advice Helpline has 15 years’ experience handling personal injury claims, so you know you can trust us to get you the compensation you deserve.

    What kind of accidents could happen on council premises?

    By far the most common types of accidents which members of the public and council staff make council premises accident compensation claims for are slips, trips and falls. You could slip on a wet floor that has been recently cleaned, trip over damaged floor tiles or loose carpet (or even a box of files left lying around) or fall down stairs due to a faulty handrail or damaged step. Council staff have the added risk of hazards in the office, such as trailing electrical cables and untidy work environments.

    Other accidents which could occur on council premises include:

    • Office accidents, such as an electric shock from a printer or P
    • Scalded by spilled hot drinks like tea or coffee
    • Bitten by a dog
    • Trips or falls in the car park

    However you have been injured, whether you’ve escaped with a sprained ankle or have suffered a serious head injury, you’re entitled to claim compensation from the council, as it’s their duty to ensure that their premises are safe, both for members of the public and staff.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Should you make a claim?

    We can’t answer this question for you – it’s totally your decision. The good news is that Accident Advice Helpline will never pressure you into making a personal injury claim.

    Our expert personal injury advisers offer confidential, no-obligation advice and can answer any questions you have about the claims process.

    No matter how minor or serious your injuries, give our freephone 24/7 helpline a call on 0800 689 0500 and find out whether you could make a claim.

    Council staff who have been injured due to a negligent employer and members of the public who have been left suffering because of negligent council staff deserve to be compensated, so don’t suffer in silence.

    Date Published: October 26, 2015

    Author: Paula Beaton

    Category: Accidents at home

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.